Friday, July 17, 2009

SEARCHING FOR GOODNESS IN A GODLESS WORLD...


No, not That Goodness. Though that does remind me that I need to add some Goodness and Hammerbox to my Seattle bands music collection. Love me some Carrie Akre, but I digress...

Goodness, by definition is the state or quality of being good; moral excellence; virtue; or a euphemism for God: "thank goodness". A reoccurring theme in my reading and research this week has been repeated examples of discrimination against atheists or agnostics or at the very least questioning the ability of a "godless" person to possibly be a good person.

At least 8 states'
(TX, AR, MA, MD, NC, PA, SC and TN) Bill of Rights or state constitutions still contain exclusionary language that would deny an Atheist, Agnostic, or Non-theist from holding any elected or appointed state office and in some cases not allow them to even take the stand as a witness or serve as a juror in a court case. All because they would have denied the existence of a "supreme being" and in some cases even using the phrase "Judeo-Christian Deity". Thankfully the Supreme Court had a moment of clarity and declared these blatant forms of religious bigotry unconstitutional on the basis of the 14th amendment which requires individual states to provide equal protection under the law to all people within their jurisdictions, however the clauses were never removed. The arrogance that the absence of belief and or faith would somehow make one less reliable of a witness, or have thrown out their abilities to serve in public office along with their Bibles and the proverbial bathwater is staggering. A 2006 Study by the American Sociological Review found that 40% of respondents characterized atheists as a group that did not "at all agree with my vision of American Society". And that 48% of them would not want their child to marry an atheist. Both percentages portraying a disapproval of atheists above that of Muslims and Homosexuals. that was in 2006 after 9/11! WTF??? You do realize that what happened on 9/11 was done in the name of a deity right? That brings us to my personal favorite target this week. The beloved Boy Scouts of America. Yes, I just said the Boy Scouts of America. Can he really be that much of a prick you ask? Yes, Yes I can. Most of us are all aware of the public denial of membership by this organization to homosexual boys or scout leaders / volunteers, but are you aware that they also deny membership to anyone that refuses to "do my best to my duty to my God and my country...The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgement of his favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizen and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members." That as an atheist or even the son of an admitted atheist a young boy would not be allowed membership. An organization that on more than once occasion has been documented referring to their discrimination as the "Three G's" Gays, godless, and Girls. The three largest financial sponsors of Boy Scout Troops in the United States are the Mormon Church (controlling as much as 40% of the organization), the United Methodist Church, followed by the Catholic Church. As a privately funded, not for profit organization they certainly have the right to discriminate any way they see fit, though that doesn't make them any less of a bigoted hate group (Hitler's Youth anyone???). They had just better stick to their 2005 agreement to remove themselves from any government funded facility or support, and that includes the public schools I help pay for.

The underlying arrogance in all of this is faith based. In his book "Letter to a Christian nation" noted author Sam Harris says, "One of the monumental ironies of religious discourse can be appreciated in the frequency with which people of faith praise themselves for their humility, while condemning scientists and other non-believers for their intellectual arrogance. there is, in fact, no worldview more reprehensible in it's arrogance than that of a religious believer: The creator of the universe takes an interest in me, loves me, and will reward me after death; my current beliefs, drawn from scripture, will remain the best statement of truth until the end of the world; everyone who disagrees with me will spend eternity in hell..." The belief in a supreme creator, going to church three times a week, believing a collected work of mythology is the literal voice of said creator, or wearing your super powered spiritual underwear, has no measurable bearing on goodness. The fear that society would descend into the depths of "hell" if left in the hands of non believers is asinine. What are they afraid of? Oh right, all the things I think would make this a much more plesant place to live in. Gay marriage, Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research, A woman's right to chose, true equal rights for all citizens regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation, diplomacy without a religious agenda, legalization of pot, or wild sex parties on the white house lawn? hmmm...did I go too far there? Ok, maybe not the sex parties in the Rose Garden...maybe ;) I don't need 10 rules etched in stone by some invisible man on a mountain in order to have some kind of moral compass. Don't we just need one? DON"T HURT ANYONE! And if that was the case, we all break that one from time to time, believer or non-believer alike. Sure I am a contradictive hypocrite, opinionated, moody, and confrontational at times...but I love and adore my wife and children, and I think they along with my close friends would characterize me as a good person albeit with flaws. I don't mind being ridiculed for my beliefs, as long as I'm not prevented from expressing them.

2 comments:

  1. Dead on. I skimmed some since I"m in class and allegedly paying attention, but the gist of this had me going "yes!" I'll come back and read in more detail later ;) Have you read "god is not great" by Christopher Hitchens? Great read. Also, Bill Maher's show on HBO had an episode with Rushdie and Hitchens on it. Excellent episode. (On a side note, I had lunch with Salman Rushdie a couple years ago when he was in Yakima, and it was fascinating to get to really talk face to face to him).

    More has been done in the name of a religion that is bad then has been done in the name of non-religion. How people can believe that not believing in god = bad person is beyond me.

    Keep it up, Scott! I'm enjoying it! ~Heathyr

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good one. I do believe you've found your voice. The bit about the eight states blows me away. I've often wondered what I would do if I was asked to put my hand on a bible and swear to tell the truth. It wouldn't mean diddly to me, but the irony is that even those who believe it should mean something probably lie on the stand anyway.

    ReplyDelete